We Heart Mom!
1. Still a Houston fave for alfresco brunch and celebrations, back-yard casual Backstreet Café (1103 S. Shepherd Dr., 713.521.2239) proffers a special 3-course menu with dishes like roasted pear salad, Backstreet benedict, red corn chicken enchiladas and lemon tart with almonds and ginger.
2. Benjy’s (2424 Dunstan St., 713.522.7602, and other location) is a cool place to take the whole gang, and you can dress up or down. Nosh on Gulf shrimp salad with green goddess dressing, Benjy’s French toast with cranberry jam or smoked salmon toast with scrambled eggs. To drink, a white peach mimosa for the lady!
3. Do it up big at Brennan’s (3300 Smith St., 713.522.9711) on the beautiful courtyard or in the graceful dining room. Favorites include crawfish omelets, Texas pecan crusted catfish, eggs sardou benedict and sherry-laced turtle soup. Don’t pass up the springtime strawberry shortcake made with fresh local berries.
4. Hip Moms will relish a trip to Monarch (at Hotel ZaZa, 5701 Main St., 713.527.1800) in the serene Museum District. The brunch menu lets you eat lean (honey yogurt parfait), indulge in comfort foods like Gulf Coast crab cakes, Croquet-Madame or huevos rancheros tacos, or tuck into devilish treats like the tiramisu waffles.
5. Show her some Creole love with a Texas twist at Tony Mandola’s Gulf Coast Kitchen (1212 Waugh Dr., 713.528.3474). The a la carte brunch includes beef tenderloin benedict, blueberry ricotta pancakes, shrimp and grits, Mama’s southern fried chicken, tarragon seafood crepes and more!