The Hit List: Game On!
By Robin Barr Sussman Photo: Kimberly Park January 23, 2015
1. Bernie's Burger Bus (5407 Bellaire Blvd, 713-349-9400), which now has a brick-and-mortar outpost in Bellaire, has a special Super Bowl to-go menu of creative sliders that will impress your guests. Try the Cheerleader version with Pepper Jack, jalapeno Ranch, crispy jalapenos and garlic-roasted tomatoes. All condiments are homemade, and the freshly ground patties are made from Black Angus beef. Wings slathered in smoky chipotle barbecue sauce and flavored house made chips will also score big.
2. For elevated game-day eats, touch down at Brennan's (3300 Smith St. 713.522.9711). Executive Chef Danny Trace is whipping up Blue Crab and Caviar Nachos -- a $100 splurge -- crowned with Petrossian caviar. The "777" Happy Hour menu (daily, 2-7 PM), features appetizers, cocktail and wine for $7 each. Anticipate Borracho Lamb Chili doused in St. Arnold's beer; Absinthe Mac & Cheese; and Jimmy's Shrimp Corndogs with pickled okra and Crystal hot sauce.
3. Boasting one of Houston's largest canned beer selections, plus plenty of flat screens for viewing the game, just-opened Gray's Public House (510 Gray St, Ste D, 713.750.0990) also dishes delicious gastropub fare. Think street tacos, wings with mango habanero, three-beer queso and chips, or the BLT -- with extra bacon and a signature dressing! Even the ladies will be charmed by the ambiance, as Gray's boasts gleaming white subway tiles and pretty pendant lighting.
4. Houston Texans Grille (CityCentre, 12848 Queensbury Ln, 713.461.2002) sports the longest bar in H-Town, and probably more TVs than anywhere else. The Super Bowl will be shown on -- count 'em -- all 66 screens. Book ahead for an all-inclusive dinner with drinks and a guaranteed seat. Optionally, try the a la carte wild-game burgers like venison, boar and elk.
5. Sit back and let Pizza L'Vino (544 Waugh Dr., 713.526.1000, pizzalvino.com) deliver your choice of dozens of gourmet pies in four optional crust styles, plus cold beer and wine! Check out the website for the delivery zone and to order online. All you need to do is find the cork screw!