The Hit List: Sizzling Summer Menus
By Robin Barr Sussman
June 22, 2015
Just in time for the scorching heat, seasonal summer menus have arrived! Lighten up and chill out with these delectable dishes.
1. Summer just wouldn’t be summer without the local Cooper Farms peach salad with Point Reyes blue cheese and bourbon vinaigrette at Brennan’s (3300 Smith St., 713.522.9711). Heartier appetites will relish new menu items like maple-glazed duck. For dessert, don’t miss the Cooper Farms peach cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream!
2. Kata Robata’s (3600 Kirby Dr.,713.526.8858) exec chef Manabu Horiuchi has created a dozen new dishes to celebrate the season. Think cool seaweed salad with sesame vinaigrette; chicken skewers prepared three ways; or corn and edamame tempura with green-tea salt. Cap off your meal with chilled chocolate mousse and marshmallow ice cream with orange cookie crumble.
3. Big news! Sparrow Bar + Cookshop (3701 Travis St., 713.524.6922) has started serving lunch this summer. Nosh on tea sandwiches, fish tacos, a build-your-own grassfed beef burger, or the spring slaw with dried cherries and sprouts.
4. Triniti (2815 S. Shepherd Dr., 713.527.9090) has unbuttoned a new menu that is more casual and affordable. Snacks, small plates, vegetables, pastas and protein sections are meant for mixing and matching. Tasty newcomers include steak kabobs with a truffle steak sauce, market oysters with a trio of sauces, and a campechana of crab, flounder and shrimp.
5. True Food Kitchen (1700 Post Oak Blvd., 281.605.2505) is one of the only Houston eateries offering a full menu of vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options—and it’s all delish! Right now, dig into the seasonal heirloom tomato and watermelon salad, wild caught albacore with snap peas, or the cool avocado-kale dip with grapefruit segments.